Only the Names Have Changed

THE CHUL

By Steven Schorr

In the spring of 1960 McGeorge Bundy, who at the time was dean of the Faculty, sparked a college-wide debate by proposing that freshmen be assigned to Houses and the Yard dormitories be converted into three new Houses.

Bundy's annual report that year termed this suggestion "a good proposal which merits further attention."

Sixteen years later, Bundy's idea finally received further attention, only to be rejected as "economically unfeasible" by the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life.

The solution CHUL finally did come up with hardly resembles what Bundy had in mind, but does bear a remarkable resemblance to the housing system that presently exists.

The only change in the system suggested by CHUL was an increase in the sex ratio at Quad Houses to 1.5:1.

Dean Rosovsky last week accepted CHUL's proposals to raise the sex ratio and retain four-year Houses at the Quad.

But he announced that he will alter the method of assigning freshmen to Houses instead of accepting CHUL's recommendation that he use the same method as last year.

Under the altered system, roommate groups will be assigned a number by lottery. Each group will then receive its highest choice among Houses still available when its lottery number arises.

Rosovsky said the new system is "only a minor alteration of what CHUL proposed."

But Bruce Collier, assistant dean of the College, said the change is likely to result in fewer roommate groups receiving their first-choice House this year.

Although Rosovsky accepted CHUL's recommendation to retain the status quo, he told the panel he still may introduce his own alternative for implementation next year.

Maybe McGeorge Bundy will get his way after all.