Jiggetts Weighs Pro Football Options

Steppingstone to Politics

By Gregory M. Lewis

Senior Danny M. Jiggetts felt sure enough of his long-term future after hearing he had been drafted by the Chicago Bears to speculate about the ways professional football may aid his ultimate political aspirations.

The former Crimson offensive tackle said that being "in a sphere where people can see you" can only help lay a foundation for a later career, though he plans to play football for a number of years, or "as long as my health holds out."

The Bears drafted Jiggetts in the sixth round, as their fourth pick in Thursday's session. Jiggetts said he expected to go higher, but was pleased to be picked when he was.

Next week team officials will meet with him to negotiate terms for a contract, as will representatives of the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League.

Jiggetts said he is more likely to sign with the Bears, because he is reluctant to leave the country and has plans to attend graduate school while playing football.

The Bears offer good opportunities because the team is not among the best in the league, Jiggetts said. He expects to play next year, on the speciality teams at least.

"You always want to be playing for a winner, but at Chicago I have a chance to get some real game experience," Jiggetts said. "Maybe this year will be the year," he said.

Coach Joe Restic said that Jiggetts should do well in the pros because he has the size, quickness and upper-body strength needed, though he may be behind other players initially because he comes from an Ivy League school.

Players from schools that have spring practice and play a longer schedule than Harvard might start off with an advantage, Restic said, but these players may have already peaked in their athletic careers. Jiggetts, though, has great personal potential, he said.