Steiner Presents $1000 Gift To Udall for Presidential Race

By Roger M. Klein

Daniel Steiner '54, general counsel to the University, contributed $1000--the maximum amount permissible to any one candidate under federal law--to Rep. Morris K. Udall's presidential campaign in the beginning of March.

"His approach to problems is the same as mine," Steiner said yesterday. At this point in the campaign, however Steiner said, "Things look tough" for Udall.

Financial Vice-President Hale Champion, has donated $150 to the Udall campaign since March.

Champion, who ran unsuccessfully as a Udall delegate from a district which includes Cambridge, said yesterday Udall is the "most honest and responsible liberal candidate" although the candidate's chances are poor. "I seldom find myself with a winner," Champion guffawed.

Thomas O'Brien, acting director of personnel administration, donated money to Udall in an amount he would not specify.

Other members of the Faculty who have contributed to Udall's campaign include David Turnbull, McKay Professor of Applied Physics, who gave $45, and Ernst Kitzinger, Porter University Professor, who yesterday would not say how much he gave.

A source in the Udall campaign said yesterday that Richard E. Neustadt, professor of Government, and Owen J. Gingerich, Professor of Astronomy and the History of Science, contributed money to that organization.

Neither Neustadt nor Gingerich could be reached for comment yesterday.