Golfers Sleep on Course; Aced by Eagles, 394-402

By John Blondel

The golf team proved yesterday that Boston College's victory over them in the Greater Boston championship on Monday was not due merely to the rub of the green as they dropped a dual match to the Eagles, 394-402, at The Country Club in Brookline.

The team also proved that they are indeed in a slump. Everyone had problems, including number one man Alex Vik who lost to Doug deBettencourt. On Monday, Vik bested deBettencourt in a dramatic finish, but yesterday the former Massachusetts Junior champ turned his game around to win medalist honors with a 74.

Vik had concentration problems as his scorecard showed. After parring the first hole, he double-bogeyed the easy par four second. "I was in a daze," Vik said. The Norwegian parred the next three holes but then three putted from eight feet on the sixth for another bogey. Vik also bogeyed the ninth and eleventh holes to go five over with six holes remaining. "At that point I realized I was really playing stupid," Vik said. From that point to the 18th he was one under par but it was too late as deBettencourt won by a stroke.

Captain Scott McNealy skied to an 85. "I don't know what was wrong but I couldn't hit my long irons." Immediately after his bogey-filled round, the mystified McNealy retired to the practice tee with four buckets of balls and his long irons.

Bobby Thompson turned in a respectable 78 while freshmen Gene Purdy and Randy Millen shot 83 and 82. Dave Paxton matched McNealy's 85 to round out the Crimson scoring.

"We've had a hectic time the past couple of days and we're really tired. It's affecting our concentration," coach Tim Taylor said.

"Golf is a game where you want to practice. When you get in a slump as we are you have to practice out of it. We have a heavy schedule and have not been able to practice," Taylor explained. The Score by Holes Vik  464  445  345  462  454  344--75 DeBettencourt  443  445  445  353  454  346--74