Radcliffe Heavyweights Smash Penn; Lights Fifth in Worcester Invitational

Lights

The Radcliffe lightweight varsity met with limited success at the New England Intercollegiate Open Regatta Saturday at Worcester, placing fifth in a strong field of nine heavyweight teams.

A violent headwind clearly hampered the varsity eight in the finals. "We were the only lightweight crew there, and so the headwind undoubtedly hurt us the most, especially with our much lighter shell," number seven oarswoman Jane Clark said yesterday.

The 'Cliffe had finished second in their earlier heat, losing only to Dartmouth, the eventual winners. The lights rowed the 2000-meter curse at a low 31 strokes per minute in what were then excellent weather conditions, finishing one second ahead of UMass. "After the heat we thought we'd beat everybody. It was such an easy race, and we just wanted to qualify for the finals," Clark said.

An hour before the 3 p.m. final, a driving rainstorm struck Lake Quinsigamond. The 'Cliffe started poorly, nearly catching three crabs in the whitecapped water. Dartmouth established command early, and was never threatened thereafter.

The black-shirted oarswomen tenaciously held onto fourth place through 1500 meters of the race, but UMass sprinted by at the finish, dropping the lights to fifth place. The University of Rhode Island was sixth, three lengths astern of the 'Cliffe.

"In a headwind like that, I don't worry too much. They're a strong crew, and I know they can go faster," coach Peter Huntsman said.

"It's a difficult position being the only crew in the East with a separate lightweight program. I'd rather not compete against heavyweights, but there just aren't any other lightweights," captain Dottie Kent said Sunday.

The junior varsity raced its final at 1:20, escaping the brunt of the rain squall. They crossed the line in a field of five. "They were racing bow-ball to bow-ball with UConn for second place for 2000 meters, and they just lost by a foot or so at the finish. I was very pleased with them," Huntsman said.