Junior Varsity Batmen Complete Winning Season

By Grover G. Norquist

The Harvard J.V. baseball team yesterday dropped its season finale, 6-4, to Massachusetts Bay Community College, spoiling Crimson hopes for an undefeated, 7-0 record for the spring.

In the early going, the J.V. batmen showed promise of keeping their six-game winning streak intact.

Back-to-back singles by sophomore Doug Morgan and freshman Fred Cordova in the bottom of the first inning, an accomodating bobble by Mass Bay's centerfielder, and a balk brought Morgan home.

Mark Zurwell added another run to the tally with a single. The inning left Steve Joyce on first and Harvard leading 2-1.

Early Harvard Lead

The Crimson added a pair of runs in an explosive third inning. Mark Zurwell beat out a throw to first, then stole his way to third base. Zurwell scored when sophomore Steve Joyce reached first on an error.

Michael Kelly then singled, moving Joyce to third. On a double steal that was the play of the game, Kelly moved to second, confusing the infield and allowing Joyce to steal home.

Harvard's hopes for an undefeated season were dashed in the top of the sixth inning when Mass Bay came up with three runs to go ahead, 6-4. Neither team was able to put anything on the scoreboard in the seventh and final inning.

Coach Mark Driscoll, commenting afterwards on his team's near-perfect season, said his players "hustled, and what more can a coach ask for?" Driscoll predicted that one or two of this year's J.V. players will start on next year's varsity squad.