The other side of the story

By Nick Yocca

The 1976 Varsity football camp, characterized as "very successful" by head coach Joe Restic, climaxed with the traditional Red and White game on September 10. Except for this emotionally charged intrasquad game, preseason camp passed with the same businesslike discipline which has become the trademark of Coach Restic. For two and one half weeks each player's time was precisely budgeted. Up at 7; breakfast; meeting at 8; practice at 9; 11:30 lunch; afternoon meeting; practice at 4; 6:30 dinner; evening meeting; 10:30 lights out. "We have a great deal to do, and one week less than last year to do it in," Restic noted at the outset. The Ivy League's decision to move its schedule ahead one week may have affected Harvard especially. It has been said that Restic alone understands the many variations of the "multiflex" offensive system which he designed. Teaching this complex system and making it run smoothly is twice as hard with abbreviated practices.

As one might expect of a defending champion, the selection of replacements for graduating lettermen was low-key. Players coming into camp were placed on one of five teams; the red, white, blue, green and gold. Personnel changes were made only cautiously, after evaluating long term performance and general improvement rather than according to the outcome of individual drills. On the offensive line, depleted by graduation, Coach George Karras made special efforts to see each of his prospective starters in action. He decided upon the five starters against Columbia only after viewing the film from the Red and White scrimmage several times.

With the first team tentatively set, the coaches have begun to shift emphasis for the league season. Instead of concentrating on installing plays and testing personnel, the top priority will be to polish and sharpen execution. The atmosphere of camp, best described as emotionally brisk rather than spirited, must give way to the series of weekly buildups necessary to repeat as Ivy Champs.

(Nick Yocca went out for the varsity football team and quit training camp after two weeks.)