San Fran. Leads Pack In College Hoop Poll

Outside Soldiers Field...

College basketball enjoyed a rather business-like week and as a result, the Associated Press College basketball poll had little to offer in the way of changes.

The University of San Francisco is still entrenched in the number one slot, garnering 39 of 57 first place ballots for an impressive total of 1084 points. The Dons topped Portland and Seattle over the weekend to run their record to 17-0.

The Kentucky Wildcats, despite a 9-1 slate, moved up a notch into second place above undefeated Cincinnati and Alabama. The three squads received eight, five, and one first place votes, respectively.

Other quintets copping first place ballots were North Carolina and Michigan. The Tar Heels took over the number five position, as well as three first place votes, with routs of Clemson and Virginia, while the Wolverines, everyone's pre-season choice for number one, held the sixth spot with three wins last week.

The top-ranked New England team in the poll was Providence. The Friars were at number 15 with a 10-1 record.

Top Ten (A.P.)

1. San Francisco (17-0)

2. Kentucky (9-1)

3. Cincinnati (10-0)

4. Alabama (12-0)

5. North Carolina (10-1)

6. Michigan (9-1)

7. Wake Forest (11-1)

8. Nevada-Las Vegas (13-1)

9. Minnesota (10-0)

10. Arizona (11-1)