Ivy Roundup: Harvard at Top; Yale, Penn, Brown Victorious

By Bill Scheft

They say that it's lonely at the top, and as the only Ivy League team remaining with an undefeated record, Harvard must be enjoying its solitude.

But don't think that the Crimson's 31-25 numbing of Dartmouth on Saturday means that there won't be a crowd scene atop the circuit come mid-November. With four weeks left to go in the season, upsets should be as common as holding penalties. Let me put it this way: Penn (2-1) still has a good chance.

In the non-Harvard inter-league clashes over the weekend, Yale crunched Columbia, 42-20, while Brown kept Cornell winless with a 21-3 victory over the Big Red at Providence.

At Columbia, John Pagliaro was busy getting his act together in preparation for The Game on November 12. The senior fullback romped 172 yards, for three touchdowns on Saturday. His 81-yard run early in the 3rd quarter gave the Elis a 35-0 lead before quarterback, Kevin Burns and Columbia began to show their offense, outscoring Yale 20-7 over the last quarter and a half.

Brown, despite two early-season losses to Yale and Penn, is still a threat to be reckoned with. The Bruins handled Cornell with less difficulty than Harvard had the weekend before, rolling up 357 yards in total offense and turning a close (7-3) halftime score into an easy triumph. Brown q.b. Mark Whipple rushed for 75 yards, passed for 85, and scored two touchdowns.

While sympathy cards are in order for Bob Blackman, who might wish that he was still at Illinois rather than on top of a hill in Ithaca, Ivy fans probably don't realize that the prodigal coach has only three starters returning from last year's squad.

Vacation

Pennsylvania and Princeton took vacations from Ivy opponents, but only the Quakers enjoyed themselves, blasting Lafayette on Friday night 45-7.

The Tigers went at it in New Jersey against Colgate, a pseudo-Ivy League team, and came up on the short end of a 31-13 score. The Red Raiders are now 5-0 on the season and lead all eastern teams in line for the Lambert Trophy.

Colgate dashed out to a 28-0 halftime lead, sparked mainly by Henry White's 98-yard touchdown return of the opening kickoff. White rushed for 90 yards on the afternoon and scored another touchdown late in the opening stanza to lead the Raiders.

In next week's inter-conference games, the one to watch closely will be Penn at Yale. Both squads have 2-1 Ivy slates--behind you-know-who.