Pneumonia Vaccine

A group of San Francisco researchers has successfully used a vaccine to prevent pneumonia and reported their discovery in an issue of the New England Journal of Medicine published yesterday.

Dr. Joseph E. Addiego Jr., acting chief of Hematology at the Children's Hospital Medical Center of Northern California, said yesterday that if the government allows the use of the vaccine for young children, an entire generation of the country could be immunized within five years.

The vaccine, made from the sugar coating of the bacteria, is particularly important because it will be useful against new strains of pneumonia recently found that are resistant to the usual antibiotic treatment.

Recommended Articles

Harvard Vaccine Prevents Group B Strep
A Harvard physician has developed a vaccine that could prevent thousands of babies each year from acquiring Group B streptococcus,
Vaccine
A bacterial pneumonia vaccine approved by the Food and Drug Administration on Monday "will have limited application in this community
New Vaccine
Harvard medical School researchers this week completed the first phase of development of a vaccine that could potentially prevent the
Vaccine Delay May Cause Flu Epidemic
PHILADELPHIA--Production of the nation's supply of flu vaccine has been delayed up to two months and supplies will be short
Zeroing In on An HIV Vaccine
CORRECTION APPENDED By identifying a novel potential target for treatment, Harvard scientists may have brought us one step closer to
Students Advised To Get Vaccinated
Don’t just rely on that apple in the dining hall to keep the doctor away this coming winter.