Yale, Dartmouth Share Top Spot

By Jonathan J. Ledecky

Crimson Sports Cube 101 midterm (50 minutes): using the themes, strategies, and patterns developed over the past five weeks, discuss potential outcomes of the football race, paying particular attention to the schedule and unpredictability (use of past 'Cube Predix' permissible) characteristic of Ivy League grid play.

That's no easy question to answer, for after weekend victories by Dartmouth, Penn, and Yale, the Ivy outlook is so scrambled that a six way final tie for the top is not out of the question.

Yale (4-1 Ivy, 5-2 overall) ruined Cornell's home coming (as if coming home to Ithaca wasn't bad enough in itself) with a 28-0 shellacking of the Big (Red) blushers. Bulldog John Pagliaro spearheaded a growling ground assault with 174 yards and a pair of touchdowns (he now has 11) before a merciful Carmen Cozza sidelined the second leading all-time career Eli rusher in the fourth quarter.

Winless (0-5, 0-7) Bob "Why did I ever leave the Big Ten?" Blackmun watched his defensive doormats yield 428 total offense yards while Yale chalked up its first whitewash in five seasons. Yale fullbacks Rick Angelone and Bob McIntyre sandwiched short paydirt bursts around 'Pag's antics as the new Haven eleven tuned up for this week's clash with Princeton.

Dartmouth (4-1, 6-1, and you know who the '1' was) found the city climes disconcerting in what should have been a breather against Columbia. The young and improving Lions (a deceptive 2-5, 1-4) held the potent Dartmouth offense at bay before yielding 14-7 on a 65-yard drive by the Big Green in the final stanza.

Sam Coffey was the spoiler at the Baker Field finale, galavanting eight yards for the winning score.

Penn (3-2, 4-3) prepared itself for the Crimson with a 21-10 victory over the suddenly timid Tigers. The Quaker wish-bone attack (about as exciting as watching stoplights change) motored for 331 yards, all via the ground, enroute to a new school season rushing record.