'Cliffe X-Country Tramples Rhody: Sullivan Runs Wild

Freshman flash Anne Sullivan led a pack of Radcliffe harriers to a 17-44 cross-country victory in her home state of Rhode Island yesterday.

The race was no cliffhanger, as the Harvard women finished in five of the first six positions.

Sullivan, who holds the women's Franklin Park record for the past week, sped to her third first place of the season in 17:53. Sarah Lindsley, at 18:15, and Katherine Taylor, at 18:41, crossed the line over a minuter before Rhodie's top runner, Carol Krolewski, finished at 19:43.

Team Effort'

Radcliffe captain Sarah Robinson ran her personal best race, to finish in fifth place at 19:45. Maureen Devlin, Diane Jacobson, Wendy Karle and Maria D'Innocenza surrounded the other Rhody Ram, Peg Dillon, in seventh place.

The captain called the win a "tremendous team effort," adding that everyone improved over last Wednesday's race.

The first mile of the three-mile course was slow for the 2-1 cross-country team. Squad manager Debbie Vogel said yesterday. "It was very, very windy and the race started across an open field." Robinson said the course continued over "long, monotonous stretches of road that were very flat."

The senior captain, who called herself "one of the old ladies," said she was "encouraged by today's race." Robinson added that the women runners defeated Brown last year, and said, "We intend to wipe them out this Saturday at Franklin Park."

Coach Pappy Hunt cautioned about over-confidence against Brown, however. He said that Saturday's foe lacks depth, but that "Sue Adams is very good for Brown, a real quality runner." Adams won the Ivy League women's cross-country title last fall.

Hunt said yesterday's race was "a hell of a good workout," but that the victory came "quite easily."

He mentioned that this is Rhode Island's first year with a women's varsity team, and that they have only five runners. This Saturday's race with another Rhode Island school should be rather more challenging.