Women's Soccer Weathers B.U. 4-1

St. Louis's Two Goals in Second Half Surge the Key

Neither wind nor rain, nor dark of night could keep the women's soccer team from their appointed victory yesterday, as the unstoppable Crimson gained its third consecutive win, conquering Boston University 4-1, on the strength of three second-half goals.

In the first half a gusting East wind seemed to be the element most determined in its attempts to prevent Harvard from continuing the prolific scoring pace it had established with 15 goals in its two previous games. As co-captain Karen Fifer said, when they neared the B.U. goalmouth, the Crimson "kept kicking balls into the air that just didn't go anywhere."

The B.U. defense also had a hand in holding off the Crimson attack. Unlike most teams, B.U. brought all 11 of their players back near the penalty area when Harvard threatened, basing their strategy on the theory that quantity, if nothing else, would stop the Crimson.

B.U.'s conservative tactics only failed once in the opening period and ironically the cluster of defenders in the penalty area undid the team in that instance. With 6:04 gone, Harvard tallied when sophomore center-half Kathy Batter placed a soft shot into the left corner of the goal as B.U. goaltender Kristy Tyre watched helplessly, screened off by her own teammates.

B.U., which carried the ball deep into Crimson territory only twice during the half, still managed to match Harvard's output, by taking advantage of the one chance they had. Ann Rice knocked in the tying goal after 25 minutes of the match, pouncing on a short punt from Harvard goalie Irene Kacandes and then dribbling the ball around Kacandes, into the net.

Out of Nowhere

After the intermission as time slipped away, and both Harvard's hopes of winning and the light became gradually dimmer, a familiar figure stepped out of the shadows to save the Crimson's day. Yes, indeed, Sue St. Louis struck, and struck again, scoring two goals in a five-minute period that sealed the game's outcome.

Her second score, a typical St. Louis goal, began when the stellar freshman received a pass from Wendy Sands just outside the penalty area. After controlling the ball, St. Louis turned and eluded a B.U. fullback, then rammed a solid shot that slipped through the freezing hands of net minder Tyre.

As the game wound down Harvard continued to dominate, putting the icing on the cake with 12 minutes left when Julie Brynteson angled the ball into the net from the left side of the penalty area.

In the contest against B.U., freshman halfback Gia Johnson played her usual steady game. A player who traps, passes, and shoots with skill, Johnson is a big factor in the women's soccer team's success this year.

After the victory, coach Bob Sclaise seemed concerned that his players might be cold if they stood around outside the long. So he had them run around during a 25-minute practice. Against Yale on Friday it may well be that the hard work typified here will pay off with a win that would cap a superb first season as a varsity team for the women's soccer contingent.