Clarification

The Mail

To the Editors of the Crimson:

After having read the Crimson articles concerning the Expository Writing controversy, I feel it necessary to make three points clearer.

The first article was entitled, "Teacher Charged with Degrading Blacks." Though a thesaurus definition of the word "degrading" might make it applicable here, our true complaint concerning Mrs. Craig was of "certain practices, in relation to the black students in her classes, which tended to discourage our reception of a meaningful experience from the class."

Emphasis must be placed on the fact that there were more complaints discussed among the black students concerned than The Crimson was able to print. At this time only Mrs. Craig--through "that letter"--and the students concerned are knowledgeable of the complete nature of the complaints.

Finally, the last article (Tuesday, March 8) concerning the issue is entitled, "Students Withdraw Discrimination Charges." However, this title might give, to the glancing reader, a totally wrong picture of the situation. I think the article should been more appropriately titled, "Students Will Not File Official Protest with University." I wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea concerning our (Patricia Butler, Wesley King included) present feelings. Eugene T. Green, Jr. '80