Students Start Journal

News Shorts

A Harvard freshman is organizing an undergraduate scientific journal to start publication in April 1978.

Daniel M. Becker '80 said yesterday the journal will print articles written by undergraduates and also report scientific news. The magazine will also publish articles on the role of science in the community, he said. These would include stories on the recombinant DNA controversy and the banning of carcinogens such as saccharin.

"The journal will not serve just to publish papers. It will be for the reader and not the writer," Becker said.

The major problems in founding the magazine are finding the money to publish the first issue and recruiting a staff committed enough to put in the needed time, Becker said.

Becker said he decided to form the journal to give Harvard a magazine similar to the Yale Scientific, the only undergraduate science journal in the country.

Recommended Articles

GSD Journal
Students in the Graduate School of Design (GSD) recently began working on the first issue of an all-student architectural journal
Mendelsohn and Mayr Start Biology Journal
Everett I. Mendelsohn, associate professor of the History of Science, is completing plans for a Journal of the History of
WRIGHT TO SUCCEED LORD AS LIBRARIAN AT UNION
Mr. Joseph Wright, superintendent of the Bureau of Municipal Research, has been appointed librarian of the Union Library, to succeed
No Headline
The distinguishing principle of the forthcoming Science as an educational journal, it is stated, will be its entire independence of
"SCIENCE."
Through the kindness of the publisher, Mr. King, we have received advance copies of the new journal, Science, whose birth
Publications at Chicago University.
It will not be long before the University Press, which has charge of all the printing and publishing carried on