Dartmouth Whips Slumping Crimson Stickmen, 13-7

Harvard Finishes 4-8 Season

By David Clarke

It was a horrendous finish to a horrendous season. Dartmouth outscored the Harvard stickmen, 6-1, in the late going Saturday to earn a 13-7 victory. The loss was the Crimson's fifth straight and dropped the stickmen into the Ivy League cellar at season's end.

Until early in the second half, the contest looked like it would be a fight to the finish. Harvard held a 2-1 advantage after the first quarter on goals by freshman Gary Pedroni and Bill Forbush. Pedroni started on attack along with fellow Yardling Mike Ward and veteran Steve Martin, while Chico MacKenzie made his second start on midfield and early-season star Pete Predun sat on the bench.

Boltja Lightning

Freshman attackman Tom Boltja, who tallied Dartmouth's only goal in the first period, connected twice more in the second stanza to pace the Big Green to a 5-3 halftime lead. Midfielder Jimmy Ossyra notched Harvard's only second-quarter goal.

When Kevin Young garnered an unassisted goal just after the intermission. Dartmouth seemed to have the game well in hand, but the visiting Crimson stormed right back.

Chris Doherty, who has seen little playing time this spring while recovering from an injury he suffered while starting at fullback for the football team, fed the ball to Pedroni for goal number four.

Gordie Nelson got a feed from Pedroni for the next tally, and then notched an unassisted marker to tie the game, 6-6. The next goal would surely be the most important of the game, and unfortunately, it was Dartmouth that got it. Middie Bruce Bierman did the honors only 29 seconds later while Harvard's Al Senior watched from the penalty box.

Blitzkrieg

That seemed to take the wind out of the Crimson's sails, and the Big Green reeled off the next five goals, two by Boltja, to put the game away, 12-6.

Ward finally broke the Harvard drought at 10:32 of the final quarter, but Boltja fired home his sixth of the afternoon less than a minute later to make sure no late rally developed.

No.125

MacKenzie picked up one point, the 125th of his splendid career, to break a tie with Phil Zuckerman '71 and take sixth place on the Crimson career scoring list. Chico's 90 career goals left him fourth in that department.

Goalie Jim Michelson, who made 16 saves, co-captains Sandy White and Greg Jackmauh, and reserve attackmen Dailey Kennedy and Phil Kemp also suited up for their final Harvard game.

Stenhouse Shot

Harvard got its first run on Stenhouse's solo home run in the first. The four-bagger was the freshman's eighth of the year and second of the doubleheader. Cornell tied the game in the bottom of the inning.

The first game was as exhilarating for the Crimson as the second game was frustrating. Aided by 16 hits and six Cornell errors, Harvard laced the Big Red 12-3 for its twenty-first win of the season.

Ron Stewart went the distance, getting his sixth win of the year against two defeats. The freshman yielded only six hits, all of which were bleeding singles except for an "excuse me" change-up that Venema jacked for a two-run homer in the third.

Charlie Santos-Buch started the scoring off with a home run to lead off the second inning. The Crimson got two more in that frame, and added another in the third and three more in the fourth, the last two coming on Stenhouse's two-run, two-out homer to dead center field.

With the score 7-2 the Crimson took a break from scoring in the fifth before getting an unearned run in the sixth and finishing up with four runs in the seventh on a Singleton r.b.i. single and a three-run round-tripper by Billy Blood.

At windy West Point on Friday pitcher Timmy Clifford notched his fourth victory as his five-hit, seven-strikeout stint was enough to fell Army, 10-3. Strong defensive play by Singleton and Steve Joyce, a triple by Jenkins, and a ninth-inning home run by Bingham highlighted the victory.