Baseballers Drop Heartbreaker, 10-7

Boston College Wins on Five Runs in Eighth

By David A. Wilson

A five-run eighth inning propelled Boston College to a 10-7 win over the Harvard nine yesterday at Soldiers Field.

Ron Luongo picked up a complete game victory for B.C. while the Crimson used five hurlers, four of them in the eighth inning.

For the first four frames it appeared that Harvard would coast to an easy victory as it had done against the same foes in the beginning of April.

Mark Binham led off the four-run second stanza by ripping a hanging curve into rightfield for a single. After a walk, a strikeout, and two hits sandwiched around a sacrifice, Dave Singleton lashed a triple just inside the line in right.

The scoreboard read 6-1 after the Crimson tallied two more in the third, but Harvard starter Larry Brown was beginning to struggle.

The roof caved in as B.C. scored four times in the fifth sending Brown to the showers. After a walk to the leadoff man, shortstop Kevin McDonald dumped a single to right. An error and a sacrifice produced one run and set men on second and third.

Firstbaseman Jim Controy then delivered the big blow with a line drive homerun deep to left field pulling the Eagles to within one run.

Steve Baloff came on to get the final two outs of the inning and breezed along until the eighth. He was helped by Singleton who, with two outs and a man on second in the seventh, made a diving, tumbling, over-the-shoulder catch on the warning track in center field to save arun.

Baloff walked the first man in the eighth and ran the count to three balls, no strikes on the second hitter. This brought on Rob Alevizos, who delivered a fourth ball, got one out on a sacrifice bunt, then gave up a triple which scored two Eagles.

Ron Stewart relieved Alevizos and B.C. jumped on him for three more on a single, a triple and an error. Coach Loyal Park then made the move to fireballing Jamie Werly, who promptly threw a double play ball to end the inning.

Harvard could not must any semblance of an offense against B.C.'s Luongo. In the last six innings the sidewinder allowed only one run and two hits while striking out nine of his game total of 14.

The Crimson is offuntil Friday when it plays host to the Bruins of Brown.