Fish's Boys Take Second

By Sandy Cardin

The Harvard varsity tennis team traveled to Amherst last weekend and managed to gain second place in the New England Intercollegiate Tennis Tournament. The Crimson played the bridesmaid to Yale but finished ahead of Dartmouth.

In singles competition, the highlight of the weekend was not, unfortunately, the spotlight as Scott Walker lost in the finals of the "B" level competition.

Walker was leading his opponent, Yale's Brad Dressler, 6-1, 2-0 when the rain came. Following a 45-minute delay and a move indoors, Dressler changed sides of the hyphens, 1-6, 6-4, 7-6.

Made Its Mark

Where Harvard really made its mark was in the doubles part of the tourney. Danny Waldman and Todd Lundy won the "A" doubles crown by defeating Yale's Cary Leeds and Matt Doyle, 6-3, 6-1.

Not to be outdone, the top "B" team turned out to be the Crimson's Scott Walker and Kevin Shaw, victors over a tandem from Dartmouth, 6-2, 6-4.

For Walker, it was a fitting victory because of the Brinks job done on him in the singles side of the ledger.

Only the "C" team of Cliff Adler and Dan Gerkin couldn't bring home the bacon for the Crimson. It lost to Yale's duo of Jim Kaufman and Jim Brady, 3-6, 6-1, 7-5.

Yale completely dominated the weekend's festivities. Not only did it have doubles teams in two of the three final rounds, it also had five of the six singles finalists. Harvard coach Dave Fish called Yale "an impressive team" and even went as far as to say, "They're good."

Up to the NCAA

Individual honors were accorded Crimson number one man Waldman and stablemate Lundy as both were recommended for NCAA competition in both the singles and doubles competition. It is now up to the NCAA selection committee to finalize those recommendations.

The tennis team has five league matches left this season but only one of those will be played here at Harvard. Fish's charges are currently 3-1 in the league with the sole loss coming at the hands of the omnipotent Yale club.