Only Two Houses Hold RUS Elections Despite Extended Call For Candidates

By Justina K. Carlson and The CRIMSON Staff

The Radcliffe Union of Students (RUS) has attracted enough candidates to hold elections in only two houses, despite last week's extension of the nomination deadline until tonight.

Only Lowell and Mather held elections as scheduled Wednesday and Thursday nights. Tonight is the third and final night of elections.

Twelve women applied for candidacy after the extension of the nomination deadline Friday, and most of the houses now have only one candidate for each position, making formal elections unnecessary. However, South House and Quincy House each still lack one candidate, and the Yard has only five candidates for its twelve representative positions.

Ginny Schneider '80 said she filed self-nomination papers after a senior RUS officer contacted her and asked if she would be interested in running..

Under-representation

The RUS constitution calls for one representative per 50 undergraduate women, but this ratio will not be met after the current election. However, Jennifer R. Levin '80, RUS president, said Wednesday she is confident that the vacancies will be filled by the end of the semester.

The RUS elections have thus far attracted a low voter turnout. As of last night, only 25 per cent of the women in Lowell House had voted, Heather A. Pavlick '79, RUS Secretary, said yesterday.

She termed this a "fair turnout." Voting figures for Mather were unavailable, as elections there were cancelled last night because of a special dinner in that house.