Crimson Stickwomen Win, 1-0, Over Strong So. Connecticut

By Elizabeth N. Friese

The Harvard women's field hockey team has served notice that football is not the only game in town, fashioning a beautiful 1-0 win over Southern Connecticut in their home opener Saturday afternoon at Soldiers Field.

The triumph evened the Crimson's record at 1-1 after a humiliating 5-0 fall to a strong University of New Hampshire eleven last weekend.

Early Score

The only tally of the contest came just two minutes into the first half, when two-time scoring leader Sarah Mleczko drilled a shot off a penalty corner by right wing Sue Field. Southern goalie Donna Pirillo deflected Mleczko's try, but junior Jenny Stone was waiting for the carom, and punched home the rebound.

The fears that some of the Crimson players expressed last week about their upcoming clash with the noted "jock school" proved unfounded. The Harvard offense kept the pressure on the Southern netminder, while the defense did a fine job of protecting goalie Ellen Seidler.

Coach Debi Field was estatic over the win. "They were a good team, but we beat them," she smiled. "Everything just came together--it all jelled."

Led by the aggressive play of sophomore back Chris Sailer and co-captain Mary Howard, the Harvard defense allowed Southern only nine shots on goal in the contest. Goalie Seidler had to make only two saves in each half.

Cynthia Crowley, a freshman from Wayland, turned in some fine stickwork for the Crimson from her left wing position, and sophomore ice hockey stand-out Tania Huber effectively brought her stickhandling skills over the turf, thwarted many Southern attackers.

If the stickwomen can continue the teamwork they exhibited Saturday, the season should be a good one. A little more aggressiveness from the front line should easily convert a lot of the "close ones" into Crimson scores.

The Crimson eleven will meet Northeastern here on Wednesday in its next game.