Not On The Menu

SALMONELLA

Feel a little queasy? Stomach aches, perhaps? Bet you don't know why. Well, surprise--University Health Services doesn't either. An outbreak of salmonella infection has struck the diners at the Union and the Varsity Club, but hard-working investigators have not yet been able to locate the source.

The infection could spread either from contaminated dairy products or from an infected food worker, but the investigators say it will take some time to analyze the hundreds of samples they have taken from kitchen workers and student food handlers.

Charles J. Krause Jr., sanitary inspector for the health services, and director of the investigation, said he feels a "little like Quincy and Columbo together." Television allusions aside, Krause added that because of complicated laboratory procedures involved in diagnosing the infection, he cannot preduct when the investigators will pinpoint the source.

Salmonella infection causes diarrhea, chills, nausea and other flulike symptons. Remember--you are what you eat.