Assembly Elections Attract All Types: Include Hedonists, Imaginary Parties

"All the other candidates had salad, but we had dressing and everybody ate it up," Peter Y. Choi '82 said yesterday, explaining the attention he and other members of the freshman Hedonist Party have been getting in their bid for seats in the Student Assembly.

According to their campaign literature, the Hedonists believe in "constant physical contact between genders, oral surgery for Jimmy Carter, total use of beer, wine, thai sticks, ganja cigarettes, quaaludes, THC, LSD as the Bill of Rights," among other points. They insist they are very serious about the campaign.

The only other party competing with the Hedonists is the Mongol Party--also a freshman creation. A Mongol position paper in the Freshman Union promises "rape, pillage, plunder and rape." The Mongol program is "moderate and sensible," Henry C. Moses, dean of freshmen, said yesterday.

Although the Mongol party has the support of Moses, it will win no seats in the assembly because it has no representatives on the ballot and no known membership.

In another case of nonexistent candidates, Ramon Diaz posted his platform proposal on the board in the union. Or so the organizers of the election thought. After his name was put on the ballot, Carl Rosen '79, who is in charge of freshman elections, discovered that no such student exists. The phone number given for the fictitious Diaz was that of Hurlbut proctor Raymond Mendez.

"The freshmen don't know each other, know very little about the issues and student government structure here, and we did not really expect serious political candidates," Rosen said yesterday. He added that he does expect serious campaigning in January when new representatives are elected.

Some freshman candidates, who will be elected today, do take campaigning seriously. David J. Saemman '82 said "the Mongols and Hedonists are great for laughs, however they're hurting us because the faculty and administration won't give up power" to them.