Minutemen Thwart J.V. Booters, 2-1

The Crimson junior varsity soccer team fell to the Minutemen of UMass, 2-1, yesterday at the Business School field.

"We have more or less the same problem as the varsity--getting the goal on the board early," J.V. coach Mike Stricklin said after the defeat. The Harvard booters scored their lone goal with just six minutes left to play.

The Minutemen opened the scoring early when Alan Swiercz stole a clearing pass in front of the Harvard goal and slipped a pass to Chip Kelly, who guided the ball into the net at 7:45 of the first half.

Neither team dominated play for the remainder of the half, but Joe Stirlacci scored the clincher for UMass when he hreaded the ball between goalie Lloyd Perlmutter and the right goalpost at 19:19 of the second half.

The Crimson controlled play for much of the second half but could not strike paydirt until Tom Barber took a fine centering pass from Rich Yu and fired it into the net at 39:14.

The loss puts the J.V. record at 2-2. The squad opened its season with victories against Exeter and a touring team from the London Business School, before losing to a highly-touted Massasoit Community College team.

The J.V. schedule resumes next Wednesday, when the booters play at Amherst.