Women's Swim Squad Loses Close Meet to Boston College

The women's swimming team lost a close meet yesterday at Blodgett Pool, going down to Boston College 74-57, despite strong performances by freshmen Pam Stone. Adele Joel and Emily Feldman.

Harvard captured seven of 15 events, and placed well in all the races with the exception of the 50-yd. butterfly.

Stone dove consistently, winning both the three-meter and the one-meter events. Diving coach John Walker praised her outstanding effort, calling it "her best high-board performance ever." Stone remains only points away from national-qualifying scores.

Joel added three wins to the team tally, capturing the 50-yd. breatstroke and setting a new team record of 1:09.8 en route to victory in the 100-yd. The standout Yardling also claimed the laurels in the 500-yd. freestyle.

Team captain Maura Costin swam strongly in spite of a troublesome shoulder injury, winning the 50-yd. freestyle and the 100-yd. individual medley, and placing second in the 50-yd. freestyle.

Strong performances by Crimson swimmers in the key events kept the outcome of the meet in question until the final moments. Freshman Barb Niles turned in a personal best for the 100-yd. breastroke, but the Crimson was denied the needed one-two victory in the deciding race when she was touched out for second at the finish.

Coach Stephanie Walsh was pleased with the effort: "The kids swam really well, and came through at the end. They sprang back from a terrible meet at B.U."

This disheartening setback at the hands of B.C. leaves the Crimson's record at one win and two losses; yet Walsh, encouraged by the strong showings by Costin and the freshmen, feels the squal will be prepared to face a difficult contest against New England Champions U. Maine at Blodgett Pool on Saturday.