The Great Blizzard

IT IS A commonplace to note that crises bring out the best in societies, and--in that sense at least--last week's extended snow emergency provided no surprises. Swift and effective action by state authorities, aided by cooperation all the way down the line of local government, helped prevent a difficult situation from becoming a catastrophe of monumental proportions. In the same way, the University's handling of the early days of the emergency prevented the situation at Harvard from deteriorating. All those involved rightly deserve high praise, not only for knowing how to face a terrible disaster, but also for realizing that even the best planning and logistics cannot make up for that essential degree of cooperation that made the emergency efforts run so smoothly.

To those who lost their loved ones, homes, or businesses in the blizzard, The Crimson extends its deepest sympathy. To those who were inconvenienced--especially those students who live off-campus and missed classes because of the administration's ill-conceived decision to reopen on Friday, despite the state's ban on private cars--we extend the hope that even better planning may relieve such troubles in future emergencies. And to everyone, we would like to convey our congratulations for an encouraging display of cooperation and friendship in such a time of distress.