...While Women Skin 'Em Alive In Ivy Squash Crown Battle

The women's squash team proved itself to be one of the best in the Ivies yesterday as it decapitated a totally outmanned Quaker squad, 8-1, and revenged an earlier loss to Penn in the Howe Cup.

Number one, Julia Moore, started the slaughter, as she wiped out Nancy Merivs, 15-7, 15-11, and 15-13, Sarah Mleczko and Becky Tung continued the rampage, ripping through their opponents in four games each to win 3-1.

Caroline Cunningham, in the fourth slot, accounted for the sole blemish on the Harvard scorecard, dropping to Christine Raber in three straight. Her twin, however, fared better. Eleanore Cunningham demolished Wendy Marcus quickly, 3-0.

If you blinked a few times you might have missed the sixth and seventh matches entirely. Jenny Stone whizzed by Cory Fisher, 15-8, 15-7, 15-1. Wendy Sonnabend performed a similar trick, finishing off Nancy Radner, 15-3, 15-2, and 15-9.

"This was a big match for us to win," Stone said. "Penn has always been strong and since we beat them and just beat Yale it's either us or Princeton for the title," she continued. "It's too bad that Princeton's not on our schedule this year," she added.

The racquetwomen put their undefeated record on the line Saturday when they face Smith at Wellesley. They are now 5-0, and will play only once more at home when they take on both Middlebury and Tufts in a three way meeting on Friday, February 24.