Rally Elicits Mixed Reactions From Yard Library Dwellers

By L. DAVID Hanower

Students studying in the libraries yesterday afternoon expressed mixed opinions about the divestiture rally occurring at the same time in the Yard.

Several students who said they supported the principle of divestiture added they did not attend the rally because of academic concerns. "I am not out supporting the protesters because I've participated before and now I have too much work to do." Janet C. Teltscher '81 said yesterday.

Paula A. Tavrow '81 said although she spent the time studying for a test. "It was the most effective rally they have had so far. I hope the Corporation will listen to most of what they said."

"I don't think they'll get the Corporation to divest, but I still think it's worthwhile because it's still important to show that students are concerned about these things." David Wilkins, a first-year law student, said yesterday.

The attempt to pressure Harvard to divest itself of its stocks in South Africa "is a very noble aspiration, but students are going about it the wrong way." Richard J. Miller '81 said yesterday.

A freshman, who wished to remain anonymous, said. "Even if the Corporation were to withdraw from South Africa, it wouldn't have any positive effect on the situation between the blacks and the whites," in the country.

"I don't think divestiture is the thing to do because if Harvard sells its stock somebody else will just buy them" another freshman, who also wished to remain anonymous, added.

Thomas F. Egerstoral '81 left the rally at 2:30 p.m. because "I thought it had lost its intensity. They began discussing issues not directly involved with the South African issue."

A junior who wished to remain anonymous said. "It was a good cause but I'm not so sure the people I knew hanging around there were very convinced by anything."

Officials at Lamont Library said that the number of students using that library yesterday was "down significantly" while officials at Cabot said attendance figures were the same as usual.