National Academy of Sciences Elects Three Faculty Members

The National Academy of Sciences last week elected 60 new members, including three Harvard professors.

Jordi Folch-Pi, professor of Neurochemistry Emeritus, David M Green, professor of Psychophysics, and Dale W. Jorgenson, professor of Economics, were all selected on the basis of their achievements in research.

Folch-Pi, who retired from teaching last year, said yesterday his principal research has been in isolating brain components and studying their chemical properties. He said he was very pleased to receive the award, which he called "a very high honor."

Green said yesterday he has been studying hearing detection theory--which involves how one hears weak sounds--for the past 20 years. He currently chairs the academy's Committee on Hearing and Bioacoustics.

Jorgenson's primary research has been in the area of econometrics, particularly studies of investment behavior and energy policy, he said.

"It's a very special honor, especially for an economist, since the academy has included social scientists for about only the last ten years," he added.

Congress created the academy, which currently has 1256 members, to advise the government in scientific matters.

R. Duncan Luce, Whitehead Professor of Psychology, said yesterday "election is recognition by one's peers and is very desired on the part of any scientist." Luce, who was elected to the academy in 1972 and currently chairs its Assembly on Behavioral and Social Sciences, added "it's a thrill when you get elected."