Spring Sports Teams Name Captains

Following the close of the bulk of Harvard's spring sports schedule last weekend, six Crimson squads elected captains this week.

Pole vaulter Geoff Stiles, a three-year standout who has cleared 16-ft., will head the track and field squad for '78-'79.

"There wasn't really much doubt about it when the team selected Geoff," coach Bill McCurdy said last night.

The women's track and field team gave the nod to Sarah Linsley and Lisa Burris as co-captains for the next spring.

On the tennis courts, three-year letterman Kevin Shaw and current sophomore and captain Katie Ditzler will lead their respective squads. Shaw reeled off a six-match singles win streak this season, and he teamed with Scott Walker to win the New England doubles championship. Andy Chaikovsky and Don Pompan were named co-MVPs of the men's recquet squad.

The news from Weld Boathouse was that Susie Peterson, a junior coxswain, will captain the lightweight squad, and that Becky Goff and Cynthia Strong, also juniors, will lead the heavyweight crew.

The men's swimming team also picked its captains recently, tabbing all-round star Malcolm Cooper and backstroke specialist Eric Seder, both juniors, as co-captains for the '78-'79 aqua squad.

Diamond News

The baseball team has not yet named a captain, as it remains active. The bat-captain, as it remains active. The batsmen will face an as-yet undetermined foe round of the regional NCAA playoffs.

The men's track team also remains active, as Stiles and a crew of eight teammates head to Philadephia for the IC4A championships.