Racquetwomen Dump Williams, Remain Unbeaten With 5-2 Win

By Laurence S. Grafstein

Despite the absence of its top player, the Harvard women's squash team (6-0) reached back for that little bit extra and defeated nemesis Williams 5-2 Saturday in Williamstown.

"This was definitely our best performance to date. They beat us twice last year so it was a very good win," coach Paul Moses said yesterday.

With Becky Tung sidelined by a nagging ankle injury, freshman Cynthia Stanton moved into the number one slot and performed admirably, dropping a 3-1 decision to Williams' tough Becky Chase.

Playing manager Nell Foreman prevailed in the second spot, posting a 15-11 win in the fifth game of a seesaw battle with Mary Tom Higgs of Williams. Courtney Stimpson knocked off Leigh Costikyin 16-14, 15-11, 6-15, 15-8 in the number three position.

Captain Jenny Stone continued to devastate all comers. Stone has yet to lose a game this year, and Saturday was no exception as she trounced Williams' Pam Hansen 15-9, 15-7, 15-4 in the fourth-ranked contest.

Number five Wendy Sonnabend also swept her Williams foe without allowing ten points in any one game.

"During reading period, I'm matter of fact about everything. I just got on the court determined to win, and I won," Sonnabend said yesterday.

The racquetwomen are now idle until the Howe Cup competition, February 2-4, which counts heavily in national rankings.

At least the Crimson will not have to listen to Williams fans at the Howe Cup. Stone said yesterday, "The spectators were typically obnoxious Saturday, but most of us blocked it all out."