Swimmers Sink Clark, 103-27

By Mark D. Director

There were fireworks in Worcester last night as the Harvard women's swim team opened its 1979-80 campaign by torpedoing a dismal Clark squad, 103-27.

The Crimson women lost just two events, qualified five swimmers for Easterns, and set a new team record. Sparked by the strength of a talented freshman corps, the women started with a decisive win in the 400-meter Medley Relay and never looked back.

Norma Barton, one of the many versatile Crimson freshmen, qualified for the Easterns and set a new Harvard record with a 59.50 in the 100-meter butterfly. She is the first Harvard woman ever to break the one-minute mark in that event.

Seattle's Janie Smith, another freshman, took two individual firsts, qualifying for the Easterns in the 100-meter free (55.57) and speeding to a 1:15.2 first in the 800-meter breaststroke.

Kathleen McCloskey and Dove Scherr, also freshmen, both qualified for the Easterns in the 1000-meter freestyle, clocking times of 10:48.59 and 11:36.6, first and second, respectively. McCloskey, with a second-place 1:02.32 in the 100 fly also made Easterns in that event.

Only Clark's Betty Grazulis prevented a Harvard sweep, as she took both the 100-and 200-meter backstrokes. But with just eight swimmers and two divers facing Harvard's 22 swimmers and two divers, the Worcester women could not keep up.

"Things are looking up," Crimson coach Stephanie Walsh said following last night's meet. Walsh kept 12 of her athletes home last night, including breastroke star Adele Joel, a sophomore recovering from injuries.

Kathy Davis qualified for Eastern competition with her first-place 4:50.0 time in the 400-meter Individual Medley. Terri Friche, another freshman, qualified for the Easterns with a 2:12.85 win in the 200-meter fly.

In the oldtimers' corner, senior co-captain Jane Fayer won the 50-meter free in 26.4 and followed Smith with a second in the 100 free in 57.97. Co-captain Sharon Beckman, also a senior, nabbed third in the 100 back, just behind junior Gina Stewart.

As usual, sophomore diving sensation Pam Stone grabbed first from both one and three meters. Senior Molly Munch returned to competition this year to take second in both events.