CIA Funds Project on Information

By David R. Merner

The Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) has given a $5000 grant to the Harvard Program on Information Resources Policy.

Anthony G. Oettinger, McKay Professor of Applied Mathematics and chairman of the Program, said yesterday the CIA is one of 80 financial supporters.

"We do not work for the CIA. We are subsidized by a large variety of companies," Oettinger said. He added the CIA is "in the information business and changes in the world's information situation are relevant to them. That's why they are interested in the program."

The program's information booklet states, "The program's impartiality is based on seeking funds from affiliates who compete and conflict. No funding is so large that we cannot afford to lose it."

Oettinger added, "We solicit funds from many different sources, both governmental and non-governmental. This case is entirely within the guidelines which President Bok set last year. Everything is public and above-board."

Bok said yesterday he is unaware of the CIA funding of the project, but added, "The CIA is entitle to fund programs as much as any other company would be, as long as it's all above-board and is within the guidelines."

Bok issued guidelines last year prohibiting faculty from working for intelligence agencies without prior approval