RUS Selects New Officers For 1980 Term

By Monique A. Sullivan

Alison Dundes '81, president-elect of the Radcliffe Union of Students (RUS), said yesterday she wants to moderate the feminist image of RUS, and plans to review security measures and evaluate women's studies.

RUS announced its new executive board yesterday after an uncontested election--a trend over the past few years.

Happy Birthday

The lack of candidates for executive positions "is probably because people don't know about RUS," Dundes said, adding, "Sexism makes women afraid to join a women's group."

Ginny Schneider '80, current RUS vice president, said yesterday, "Observing from past elections, women don't like to compete with each other. They chose the post no one else is interested in."

A Rose

"Some people think we are trying to deny Harvard by our name," Dundes said, adding the group may change its name to the "Harvard Women's Association" or a similar title. All female undergraduates automatically belong to RUS, but Dundes said she would like to see more active participation.

Dundes said term bill financing for RUS will continue, but the group is examining alternative funding methods. In the past the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life (CHUL) has recommended stopping the fees charged on term bills.

Schneider said a financial consultant has recommended establishing a committee to administer the $12,000 term bill fund. RUS could devote more time to other projects without the responsibility of fund administration, she added.

Sisterhood

One of RUS's functions is the administration of grants to women's organizations such as Seventh Sister and the Radcliffe Choral Society.

Other members of the new board include Patricia C. Gadecki '81, vice president; Joan Feigenbaum '81, treasurer; Anne Maccoby '82, secretary; and Martha Hoefer '81 and Madeline Carter '83, representatives to the Radcliffe Board of Trustees.