Message in a Bottle

17 QUINCY ST.

By Robert O. Boorstin

When someone reported a brush fire in front of 17 Quincy St. early Wednesday morning, University Police officers quickly rushed to the scene and extinguished the fire. But two days later--long after the ashes have settled--police are still not sure who set the fire and left a threatening note addressed to President Bok.

Although police refused to disclose the contents of the note, The Crimson received a copy of the note, tucked into a wine bottle, on Thursday night.

In the letter, members of the "superfly club" claim responsibility for the accident. Their note states: dear broder bok, on behalf of aluminati past and future the superfly club advises you to divest immediately. time is running out and there is nowhere left that is safe. remember us next time your flying and knock on wood, baby. 1325-2025 global smoke signals   your sons and arsons

Daniel Steiner '54, general counsel to the University, said yesterday the note received by the Crimson, although "not identical" to the note found near 17 Quincy, is "essentially the same."

"In my view, this incident has nothing to do with any of the groups at the University which have been responsibly urging divestment," Steiner said.

Saul A. Chafin, chief of University Police, said yesterday police are having trouble deciphering the message and deciding whether the individuals involved were deliberately trying to burn the brick building or just wanted to do something symbolic.

A state forensics laboratory is still examining the evidence found to the left of the building's entrance, which included a can of charcoal lighter fluid, some burned matchbooks and a wine bottle.