Cagers Rout Brown in Tourney Opener

Women to Face Yale in Semi-Final

By Jeffrey R. Toobin

Never say Gillian Raney can't pick her spots.

Raney, a 5-ft. 8-in. freshman guard/forward with a 4.2 points per game average, led the Harvard woman's basketball team to a 66-38 victory over Brown in the first round of the Ivy League Championship Tournament yesterday in New Haven, Conn.

Raney scored 14 points, high for the game, and grabbed eight rebounds, also a game high, in the Crimson rampage over that Bruins at Yale's Payne-Whitney Gymnasium.

"I seem to be sporadic. It could just be the fact that it's a tournament I can get up for," Raney said.

Coach Carole Kleinfelder was pleased with the win, but thought the hoopsters could have played better.

"It was sluggish. Neither team played very well, but we did have a good spurt near the end of the first half to pull away. It was a good game to get rid of first game jitters," she said last night.

Harvard will face Yale in the semi-finals today, as the Bulldogs trounced Cornell, 82-42, last night. Earlier in the season, the Crimson also demolished the Big Red, 70-33.

Harvard

Curry 4-6, 1-2 9, Carle 5-8, 0-2 10; Meyers 2-7, 0-0 4; Holpuck 3-9, 4-6 10; Smith 4-9, 2-2 10; Field 1-2, 0-0 2; Bernstein 1-5, 0-0 2; Raney 7-12, 0-0 14; Woolery 1-7, 1-2 3; Warren 0-4, 0-0 0; Belshe 1-3, 0-0 2.

Young 2-10, 0-0 4; Moorcroft 2-6, 1-3 5; Lagos 1-11, 1-1 3; Wurtz 5-15, 3-7 13; Stratton 2-9, 0-0 4; Holmes 0-1, 1-3 1; Welch 1-3, 0-0 2; Kondo 1-1, 0-0 2; Rubin 2-6, 0-0 4.

Havard 37 29-66

Brown 22 16-38

The cagers didn't face much of a test in yesterday's contest. They dominated from start to finish--an early lead expanded to a 37-22 bulge by halftime.

Wendy Carle, Elaine Holpuch and Karen Smith all popped for ten points in a typically balanced scoring attack. Caryn Curry, the dependable junior captain had seven assists in addition to her nine points.

Raney immediately pounced right on her opportunity to shine, hitting ten points in the first half. Her seven for 12 percentage from the field and Carle's five for eight shooting presented a marked contrast in the Bruins' efforts.

Tough Crimson defense plunged the Brown hoopsters in a deep freeze on offense. Trish Wurtz, the towering Bruin center, could manage only five for 15 and Toni Lagos sank a woeful one of 11 field goal attempts. As a team, Brown shot 16 for 62, a woeful 26-per-cent mark.

Kleinfelder expects rough going in today's semi-final against Yale.

"You're at Yale. You've got the band sitting on your back and we'll have to overcome that," she said.

"I expect good defense, pretty good outside shooting and they have two players we have to look out for: Lisa Bummel, the forward, and Sue Maloney, the point guard," she added.

In action on the other side of the bracket, Penn defeated Dartmouth by ten and Princeton eviserated Barnard, 88-19.

Women's Ivy Basketball Draw

Princeton

Barnard

Dartmouth

Penn

Princeton, 88-19

Penn, 64-54

HARVARD

Brown

Cornell

Yale

HARVARD, 66-38

Yale, 82-42

First Place

Third Place