Racquetmen Destroy Big Green, Register a Flawless 9-0 Win

By Michelle D. Healy

The Harvard squash team increased its season's record to 6-2 in an easy victory over the inferior Dartmouth squad yesterday, sweeping all nine matches 3-0.

Powerful Captain John Havens started the Crimson off on the right foot, taking the first match from the Big Green's number one man Pete Greulich. Havens was able to outplay Greulich despite trouble from his injured right knee.

"I was trying to keep the pace up so that he couldn't hit the shots that make me move too much on my bad knee." Havens said after the match.

In the number two slot Harvard's John Stubbs used agility and keen shot anticipation to out-finesse his opponents.

Sophomore Mitch Reese was the most decisive player in the Crimson attack, winning three quick games by the same score, 15-6. Reese played aggressively, hitting drives along the rail instead of relying on his usual variety of shots.

In the fourth and fifth slots George Bell and Chuck Elliott never let the Big Green have a glimpse quick players but managed to keep them off balance with effective shot juggling.

Joe Somers played impressively from the number six position. Somers has moved up several in the team ranks after proving his ability this weekend in an intra-squad tournament.

"I was surprised to be playing so high," Somers said yesterday. "I found out just prior to the match that I had been moved up on the basis of my performance in the intra-squad challenge this weekend," Somers added.

Back in the number eight spot, John Fishwick played a smart game. Once he moved out in front of his man, he relied on reverses and drops. By intercepting returns, Fishwick was able to keep his opponent.

Jeff Secrest and John Heller notched wins in the seventh and ninth positions. They took advantage of the Big Green feeding them a steady diet of corner shots to tune up for their match this Saturday against Yale.

Coach Dave Fish said yesterday, that "Harvard showed good sharpness considering that the Dartmouth team doesn't have as good a record as we do."