It's Tourney Time for Crimson Women

Stone Leads Freshman Swimmers In Small College National Attack

Freshman diving sensation Pam Stone captured the one-meter diving title in the first day of the Small College Nationals Thursday and led the Harvard women's swim team to a 29-point effort at the multi-team affair in Reno, Nev.

As she has done all year, Stone proved sensational from the low board, racking up 401 points to take home first place honors. The Louisville native's victory gave Harvard 20 points.

Young 'Uns

Freshmen have accounted for all the Harvard points thus far. Host University of Nevada has taken the early lead in the meet with a 91-point showing on the opening day.

The high altitude and thin Rocky Mountain air have hampered some of the Harvard swimmers, and only two of coach Stephanie Walsh's women made their way into finals on Thursday. Adele Joel stroked to an 11th-place finish in the 50-yd. breaststroke with a 32.43 clocking. Emily Feldman turned in a 2:19.61 time in the 200-yd. backstroke, a finish good enough for 14th-place honors.

Thin Air

Crimson assistant coach Mary Ellen Dash said after Thursday's competition that the Harvard times were respectable considering the difficulties caused because the swimmers are not used to the thin Nevada air.

CRIMSON SPLASHES: Retired Harvard star Liz Kelly's record of 5:03.03 in the 500-yd. freestyle withstood a strong test Thursday as the 1979 winner in the event just missed the mark by one-tenth of a second...The 29-point total, though leaving Harvard well behind the leaders, could be the start of the women's finest showing of the year with the Crimson women turning in some strong individual times.