Crimson B-Ballers Shoot to Third Place At EAIAW Division One A Tournament

By Susan D. Chira and Jeffrey R. Toobin

The Harvard women's basketball team concluded its 1978-79 season Saturday with a 75-62 win over St. John Fisher College for a third-place finish at the Eastern Association of Intercollegiate Athletics for Women (EAIAW) Division One A Invitational Championships in Rocl ester. N.Y.

The cagers finish the season at 17-10 after a 13-10 mark in 1977-78.

"This is the best any women's basketball team has done at Harvard," coach Carole Kleinfelder said Saturday.

In the consolation game against St. John Fisher, the Crimson managed to avoid the chronically weak shooting that has plagued the squad all season. Harvard shot 43 per cent from the floor, and four players finished in double figures.

Forwards Wendy Carle and Sue Aboucher topped all scorers with 14 points each, and junior captain Caryn Curry and sophomore guard Stacy McMahon followed with 12 each.

The hoopsters' second-half surge sealed a Harvard win after a tight first half.

Saturday's win marked a distinct contrast with the Crimson loss to Towson State University of Maryland Friday night in the semifinals. In that game, Harvard shot a woeful 27 per cent from the floor and added 23 turnovers.

Team Scores

Freshman center Elaine Holpuch, who scored 14 points, dueled Towson sharp shooter Donna Wagner, but Harvard's sloppy play thwarted any chance of a Crimson championship.

The loss to Towson State followed Harvard's win over Stonehill State in the quarter-finals. McMahon's 14 points led the cagers to the 64-38 victory Friday night.

The 17-10 record marks Harvard's best performance ever in Division One play, and the cagers' young squad--just one senior on the roster--promises big things for the team's fourth season, 1979-80.