Freshman Council Overturns Decision on UCHSR Boycott

The Freshman Council voted last night to support the Undergraduate Committee on Shareholder Responsibility's (UCSHR) boycott of the Advisory Committee on Shareholder Responsibility (ACSR), overturning its decision of March 13.

The council decided to vote again on the boycott issue because UCSHR members believed their viewpoint was not adequately explained at the March 13 meeting, Daniel A. Lashof '81, a UCSHR member, said yesterday.

"Only two of the three Freshman Council representatives to UCSHR were at the meeting last week, and the member who was missing represented a different viewpoint," Lashof added. UCSHR has refused to send an undergraduate representative to ACSR meetings since December 1978, and will not do so until the ACSR responds to two UCSHR proposals for reform of ACSR's procedures.

Julie E. Fouquet '80, UCSHR's chairman, said yesterday, "We wanted to clarify the issue of concessions made by ACSR on the two reform proposals, as it was clear that the council members who voted last week were misinformed."

Nathan A. Low '82 and Anthony E. Meyer '82, the two council representatives to UCSHR who were present at the March 13 council meeting, said yesterday they believe that sending an undergraduate representative to ASCR meetings would improve UCSHR's bargaining position.

"Tony and I feel we should try to work from within the ACSR," Low said yesterday. "If the reforms were defeated that would prove that working from within is useless and we would have the public relations advantage of proving the non-representativeness of ACSR," he added.

Weaken

Carl F. Rosen '80, secretary of UCSHR, said yesterday, "We feel that the Freshman Council could weaken our bargaining position with the administration in withdrawing their support--that's why we wanted to have this vote reconsidered."

"Low should have tried to get UCSHR's support on working from the inside," Rosen added.

"USCHR's conception of team-ball is wrong. Our responsibility is to our constituents, not to UCSHR," Low said. He added that UCSHR's position will not be weakened, but that "working from within" would give them a stronger tactical position.