Marshall Plan: Baserunning, Birthdays and Clutch Homers

For Chuck Marshall, the sophomore whose dramatic ninth-inning homerun defeated Penn yesterday afternoon, the affair with the Quakers ran the gamut of emotions.

The catcher-turned-outfielder had donned anything but a hero's togs through the first eight-and-a-half innings, as a base-running blunder in the sixth inning had spoiled Harvard's chances to increase its lead.

Ahead 6-5, Marshall singled to right to lead off the sixth. Then, on the next pitch. Mike Stenhouse ripped a deep drive to center. Penn's Gary Ciccatiello caught up with the shot and threw to first to double off Marshall, who had been off with the pitch and was then standing on third.

"That kind of thing should never happen, and I was a little upset about it for a while," Marshall said after the game. "But you've got to put those mistakes out of your mind, especially in this kind of a game where a lot of runs are scored. You know you'll get a chance at the plate later on," he added.

But there was no chance or luck involved in Marshall's ninth inning moonshot. "I wanted at least to get an extra-base hit and drive in Bobby (Kelley) with the winning. I was thinking fastball and it was right there. I swung hard, but down"

"This has got to be the most exciting thing that's ever happened to me, because I'm definitely not a home run hitter," Marshall said.

Though Marshall's four-bagger gave Harvard its third Eastern League win against one loss, it also served as a unique gift for his father, who had flown in from Chicago that day to celebrate his 50th birthday.

Marshall did not go gift-less, though. After the game, his baserunning manuever received the annual "Pin Head Award," Harvard baseball's version of the Gong Show "dirty sock." "It's a unique honor to win the game and the Pin Head," Marshall noted.

Recommended Articles

Marshall Nearing Approval For SJC
Margaret H. Marshall likely will be confirmed next week as the second woman justice on the Supreme Judicial Court of
Marshall Confirmed for SJC
As expected, the Governor's Council yesterday confirmed Margaret H. Marshall's nomination to serve as Associate Justice of the State Supreme
SJC Nominee Led Controversial Harvard Probe
Margaret H. Marshall, A. Paul Cellucci's controversial nominee for chief justice of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court (SJC), commissioned an
Margaret Marshall, Former Harvard Counsel, Named SJC Chief Justice
Justice Margaret H. Marshall, a former Harvard general counsel, was confirmed yesterday as the first female Chief Justice of the
The King of Hearts Bids Necco Farewell After 47 Sweet Years
For a week in February, the world beats a path to the door of Walter J. Marshall. In the past
From Marshall to Rubin, A Daunting Legacy of Commencement Speakers
When former U.S. Secretary of the Treasury Robert E. Rubin '60 steps to the podium in Tercentenary Theater tomorrow to