Stern Autographs at Coop

As Isaac Stern autographed copies of his record albums at the Harvard Coop Saturday, a child beamed and said proudly, "I play the violin."

Stern held out his hand and said, "So do I, once in a while. I try."

The two-time Grammy award winner, who began his career as a violinist at the age of 11 with the San Francisco Symphony, performed yesterday in a sold-out solo recital at Boston Symphony Hall.

When asked which recording he considers his best. Stern replied immediately. "the next one."

Stern said his record sales have remained steady in the past few years, adding, "that's why classical music is so important today. It's not a fad--it's a way of life."

"Classical music has become more important in our times because there are more people involved in it." Stern said. He added, "It's become as important as any part of civilized life."

The violinist criticized today's popular music. "Every six months it's something different--either punk, hunk, stunk or bunk," Stern said.

Stern has performed with major orchestras in the U.S. and in Europe. He has also appeared with several university orchestras "where they are sufficiently advanced," Stern said.

Recommended Articles

Isaac Stern Imparts Love of Music
Isaac Stern, one of the century's foremost violinists, stressed the importance of involving young people in the arts during his
Veteran's Symphony Opens NSA Music Forum at Rindge
A series of "symphony forums designed to bring good music to the students at low prices" is being instituted by
Student Actors Learn To Bare All for Audiences
As the weather gets colder and colder in Cambridge, more and more people are taking their clothes off—on stage, at
Stern Reality for the GOP
Sadly, the chances that Air America Radio and the new liberal radio program hosted by Al Franken ’73, will have
YALE WINS AT HOCKEY.
Yale won from Harvard at hockey on the St. Nicholas Rink, Saturday evening by the score of 4 goals to
Moore's Mouse Problem
This week the Walt Disney Company reaffirmed its intention to block Disney-owned Miramax from distributing Michael Moore’s latest documentary, Fahrenheit