Racquetwomen Finish Season With 5-4 Triumph Over Bruins

By Jeffrey R. Toobin

The women's tennis team closed out its 1979 season with a 5-4 win at Brown yesterday to complete what coach Peter Felske called a season of successful rebuilding.

"We took on the heavyweights and we showed we were in the same league," Felske said yesterday.

The racquetwomen finished the spring season at 3-4 after a 2-1 fall record. Three of the spring losses went to Ivy powerhouses Yale, Princeton and Penn, but Felske said the team has moved resolutely toward parity with its nationally-ranked competition.

The Crimson played the Bruins today in Providence, R.I. in a vexing wind that stymied serving and volleying efforts for both the home and away squads.

Freshman Betsy Richmond, at number one, dispatched Nancy Nyquist with predictably few problems, 6-3, 6-0. Felske said once Richmond had adjusted to the wind, she had "no problems."

Sophomore number two player Martha Roberts, however, did not adjust to the wind quickly, recovered the second set, and her consistent opponent, Mana Rodgers, prevailed, 6-3, 4-6, 7-6.

The Bruins' Nancy "The Stroker" took advantage of a second set lapse by sophomore captain Meg Meyer, but Harvard went ahead 2-1, on Meyers's 6-2, 1-6, 6-2 triumph.

Felske particularly praised the play of freshman Abby Meiselman, a 6-3, 6-3 winner yesterday, who has turned in consistently solid performances all year.

Of his crop of freshmen this year Felske said, "Betsy, Abby and Kris (Mertz) were a tremendous help to the team."

All the Way

Victories by Diedre Wilde at sixth singles and Richmond and Martha Roberts at first doubles locked the win for the netwomen.

Four Harvard players will compete in the Ivy League Seven Sisters Championships this weekend at Smith College in Northhampton. Mass. Richmond and Martha Roberts will play singles and Libby Pierpont, Sally Roberts, Leslie Miller and Meiselman will enter the double draw.