No More Sexist Ads

THE MAIL

To the Editors of the Crimson:

The editors of the Crimson recently barred Playboy Magazine from advertising in the paper. A newspaper has the right to be selective in its choice of advertisers and we support the Crimson's refusal to aid an institution in its exploitation of women.

However, before the Crimson editors pat themselves on the back for fighting oppression, they should turn to page eight of the April 26 issue of their newspaper. There they will see a half-page advertisement for Pernod liquor, featuring a suggestively-clad woman propositioning the reader "Voulez-vous Pernod with me?"

We doubt that the Crimson would print advertisements which perpetuate racist stereotypes, yet it welcomes advertisers which use sexist stereotypes to sell their products. Two examples of such advertising which have appeared regularly in the Crimson are those for Pernod and for Busch Beer. The Crimson editors chose the most blatant example of exploitation of women, Playboy, to show their social concern; however, the more subtle sexual stereotypes portrayed in advertisements are more threatening to human rights, because they are more easily accepted.

We find these advertisements offensive, and urge the Crimson editors to re-examine their advertising policy, so they can at least be consistent. Diana Carpenter   Julie Parsonnet