1474 To Graduate Under Sunny Skies

20,000 Expected to Attend

By Jeffrey R. Toobin

Weather forecasters predict sunny skies over Tercentenary Theater today as 1474 men and women receive undergraduate degrees at Harvard's 328th commencement.

There will be cloudless skies, a high of about 70 degrees and only a 10 per cent chance of rain today, according to the National Weather Service.

Lawrence Whittier Newell '04 will lead the traditional procession of seniors and alumni that will meet at 9:20 a.m. in the Old Yard between University Hall and Johnston Gate, and file into Tercentenary Theater for the morning exercises.

West German Chancellor Helmut Schmidt, who will deliver the afternoon commencement address, arrived at Harvard late last night, surrounded by secret service and area policemen, after a short trip to Washington D.C. and the University of South Carolina.

Saul L. Chafin, chief of University police, said yesterday "security is tight," and refused to comment further.

Schmidt is expected to announce something "very important" in his speech today. Some have predicted he will strongly endorse the second Strategic Arms Limitation agreement and encourage speedy passage in the U.S. Senate.

The West German Chancellor is expected to meet with two representatives of the Harvard Jewish Law Students Association this morning to discuss legislation in the German Bundestag concerning the continued prosecution of Nazi War criminals.

The University has distributed tickets for more than the 19,000 available seats in anticipation of no-shows by some ticket-holders, William Anderson, university marshall, said yesterday.

Gov. Edward J. King will march in the alumni parade but in a break with tradition, he will not be one of the 20,000 people expected to view the ceremonies. King must testify at congressional hearings in Washington, D.C. later today.

Anderson said yesterday the Commencement exercises have been "over-sold," attributing the shortage of tickets to a rise in the number of degree candidates who attend the morning exercises.

The morning exercises will include three speeches by students. Sabin Willett '79 will deliver the Latin oration, Patty Woo '79 will deliver the undergraduate English oration and Paul K. Rowe '76, will deliver the graduate English oration.

Following the exercises, the 1041 men and 432 women undergraduates will proceed to their Houses for lunch and the presentation of diplomas.

Three hundred and seventy-one students will graduate without honors, 357 cum laude in a special field, 338 cum laude in general studies, 321 magna cum laude, 24 magna cum laude with highest honors, and 57 summa cum laude.

Harvard's graduate schools will award 2918 degrees. Of the graduate schools, the Law School will present the most diplomas, with 599 graduating. In all, the University will award 4459 degrees, 27 more than last year.

After awarding of the graduate degrees, the alumni parade will march to Tercentenary Theater for the afternoon exercises at 2:15. The afternoon ceremonies, the 14th annual meeting of the Associated Harvard Alumni, the addresses by Schmidt and President Bok will take place regardless of the weather.

In the event of rain, the morning and afternoon processions will be cancelled. There is seating available for about 2000 in the Science Center and Sanders Theater where the proceedings will be broadcast live on closed circuit television.

Commencement exercises will be broadcast live by WGBX Channel 44 and on WHRB radio, 95.3 F.M.