New Crop of Nieman Fellows Includes Photographer Forman

By William E. McKibben

Boston Herald American staff photographer Stanley Forman, who won a Pulitzer Prize for his picture of a mother and daughter falling from a fire escape, is among the 12 journalists who will be Nieman fellows next year.

"I'm going to miss my work, but I figure it'll help me for the next 25 years," Forman, who plans to take American history and expository writing courses, said yesterday.

Other fellows will include James Boyd, editorial page editor of the Idaho Statesmen, Jonathon Z. Larsen, former editor of the now-defunct New Times magazine, and Paul J. Lieberman, an investigative reporter from the Atlanta Constitution.

William R. Grant, education writer for the Detroit Free Press, and Michael J. Kirk, public affairs director for Seattle television station KCTS will also spend next year at Harvard, as will Lynda M. McDonnel, a business and labor reporter for the Minneapolis Tribune, and Judith Nichol, Maryland editor of the Washington Post.

Judith M. Stoia, Boston public television's nightly news editor, Jan C. Stucker, of the Columbia Record, and Robert Timberg, a reporter for the Baltimore Sun will also be Nieman fellows.

The announcement of Niemans from foreign countries will be made later this summer.