Oxfam to Sponsor A Running Event To Aid Refugees

By Steven Waldman

In an effort to help Vietnamese and Cambodian refugees, Oxfam-America, a non-profit organization that tries to improve conditions in third world countries, is sponsoring "Run Against Hunger" at Harvard on August 12 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The University has given permission for the organization to use the Weld boat house as a base for the "casual run." The event will start at the Larz-Anderson bridge and will go around the Charles River two-mile loops.

Save the Boat People

A similar event in Limerock, Conn., last April attracted approximately 200 people and raised more than $12,000. Bob Hohler, Oxfam's director of resource development, estimates that the upcoming event should attract at least 200 participants.

Oxfam-America and its parent group Oxfam-United Kingdom hope to raise about $370,000 for the refugees.

Oxfam will use most of the money to help 42,000 Vietnamese refugees who are presently living on the 75-acre Pulau Bidong island next to Malaysia.

About $250,000 will be used to furnish the inhabitants with a sanitation system.

If they are not able to install the sanitation before this month's monsoons there will be "tragedy of disastrous consequences," Hohler said.

Shelter

Oxfam will also help build shelters on Macau Island, adjacent to Hong Kong, and supply medical assistance to Hong Kong and to Cambodians on the Thai border.

In addition, Oxfam is trying to raise money by sending out mailings and making public service announcements on radio and television.

In an individual relief effort, John Munter, an employee at Fernald School for the mentally retarded, has been standing in Harvard Square during his days off to get aid for the boat people.

John Munter, an employee at Fernald School for the mentally retarded, has been standing in Harvard Square during his days off requesting aid for the boat people.

Crossing the Border

Munter has over 1000 signatures on a petition and has given out a few hundred chain letter petitions that urge President Carter to "press personally the international community for immediate relief" for the refugees in Thailand and Malaysia.

Munter has been in Harvard Square with his large "Save the Boat People" sign for seven out of the last 14 days. "I'll be doing it until they're picked up out of the ocean or the monsoon hits," he said yesterday.

He has not been asking for or receiving donations and states that the reaction to his efforts has been "very enthusiastic."

In addition to the organized events, members of Oxfam said they will also help anyone start a relief drive to help the refugees.