Custodian Charged With Weld Thefts

By Steven Waldman

Mark S. Giangregario, a University custodial worker, was arraigned yesterday at 3rd District Court on charges of attempted larceny, larceny under $100, and breaking and entering. After his arraignment, Giangregario was released on bail.

Scott Novins, a Summer School student living in Weld 30, said yesterday he noticed on Tuesday that his stereo had been placed in a brown paper bag next to Giangregario's plastic cleaning bag. He added he saw Giangregario sweeping up in the room and went to Wayne Ishikawa, dean of students, who brought the stereo to the Harvard Police. The police arrested Giangregario at 2 p.m. Tuesday. They are now testing the stereo for finger prints.

Giangregario worked in the dining halls during the year and belongs to Local 26, the Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Employees Union. Frederick E. Walden, business agent for Local 26, said yesterday the union is defending Giangregario and has provided him with a lawyer. Giangregario could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Saul L. Chafin, the chief of University police, said yesterday the police are investigating whether the incident is related to a number of other complaints about stolen property in Weld.

Last Thursday students from Weld 30 filed a complaint with the police for over $100 that was missing from their suite. Brian Taraz, a Summer School student, said he and his roommates then told Buildings and Grounds not to let anyone clean the inside of their rooms.

Indefinite Suspension

Joseph Dussault, area supervisor for B&G, said yesterday when the police told him of the incident, he indefinitely suspended Giangregario.

Walden said it is unusual to suspend a worker without a hearing.

Richard Montville, supervisor of the Harvard dining halls, said yesterday Giangregario, who has worked for Harvard since March 1977, has never caused any problems. "He seemed to be a nice fellow," he added.

Since Summer School started last Monday, residents of Weld South said they have discovered many other items missing. Students reported missing money, a calculator and jewelry.

Money, Money, Money

Martha Davis, Weld North proctor, said yesterday $20 is missing from her room. She added that Giangregario's job, which includes sweeping the floors in the suites, "is an unnecessary service."

Mary Jo Ivkovich, a Summer School student, said yesterday $24 of hers is missing.

Students in Weld North, which has a different custodian, have noticed nothing missing from their suites, Linda Miller, a Summer School student, said yesterday.