Nixon Leaves L.A. On Trip to China

LOS ANGELES--Former President Richard M. Nixon yesterday left on his third trip to China without his wife and the fanfare that accompanies him on previous trips. The Chinese government extended an invitation to Nixon 18 months ago, but the normalization of relations between the United States and China delayed the trip.

"I plan to see some of the Chinese leaders and to spend all of my time in Peking," Nixon said yesterday before leaving. "The purpose is solely to be brought up to date on Chinese-American relations," he added.

Recommended Articles

President To Make Week-Long Asian Visit
While the rest of Harvard jets south this Spring Break, President Neil L. Rudenstine will be heading east, on a
China Expert Freeman Tells Forum About Nixon's 'Strange' China Visit
Charles F. Freeman, chief U.S. Interpreter during the Peking talks between President Nixon and Chou-en-Lai, said last night. "I watched
Bloody Path to China
S TEPPING ON the plane for his journey to China, Nixon had the air of a man about to fulfill
Mao on the Potomac
A YEAR AGO this month, Richard Nixon travelled to the People's Republic of China. All the nice things people have
'Enhance Mutual Understanding and Build Stronger Ties of Friendship'
Below is the complete text of Chinese President Jiang Zemin's address on Saturday in Sanders Theatre, as transcribed by The
Nixon's Trip: The China Puzzle
P resident Nixon's announcement of his intention to go to Peking unleashed lavish press speculation on the changing foreign policies