Nye to Stay; May Advise DOE Heads

By James L. Tyson

Despite speculation that he will accept a post at the Department of Energy (DOE), Joseph S. Nye Jr., professor of Government and former deputy to an undersecretary of state, will remain at Harvard.

However, Nye said yesterday he is currently discussing the possibility of a consulting position with the DOE.

Logical

According to the August 23 issue of Energy Daily, Nye is viewed as the most logical choice for the department post of assistant secretary for international affairs because of his experience with nuclear non-proliferation negotiation and his close ties with department officials.

Nye worked to promote nuclear non-proliferation as deputy to the undersecretary of state for security assistance, science and technology until 1978, when he returned to Harvard. The State Department awarded him the distinguished honor award before his departure last fall.

Contacts

The Daily noted Nye's close relations with deputy department secretary John Sawhill, president of New York University, and with John Deutch, a DOE assistant secretary.

Nye said yesterday that Sawhill is his former college roomate, and Deutch a close neighbor.

The Daily also reported that Nye met earlier this summer with Charles R. Duncan, Secretary of the DOE.

A DOE spokesman yesterday refused to comment on the department's alleged discussions with Nye.

Nye would not discuss the position the department offered him but said he is "trying to work out a relationship where I can help them out with consulting work."

Nye, who teaches international relations, said he enjoys his work at Harvard and will not decrease the number of courses he will teach this year.