The Bright Brigade Faces Off

By Mike Bass and Bruce Schoenfeld

Billy Cleary says building a successful hockey program takes three years. Welcome to Year Two of the new era.

The Harvard hockey coach suffered through an 8-15-3 season last year but came up with the first of the three superior recruiting classes he says he needs to get the program back into one of the eight ECAC playoff spots.

And this year's crop looks like the second. Forwards Jay North, Phil Falcone and Shayne Kukulowicz lead a crop of Yardlings which ranks with any in the ECAC. "Harvard had a great recruiting year," Cornell coach Dick Bertrand says. "Maybe the best in the league."

But the squad is young. Cleary lists ten freshmen and ten sophomores--including all but one of his defensemen--on the 28-man preliminary roster. Captain Tom Murray, a consistent, three-year veteran, is one of but two seniors. "Last year's freshmen are the old men now," Cleary says.

Leading scorers Mark Fusco (the ECAC's top rookie a year ago) and Greg Olson return for their second winter in Cambridge with added poise and maturity from last season's wars and a summer of national play in Colorado. Cleary will count on sophomores Jim Turner, Scott Sangster, Rob Burns, Greg Britz and Neil Sheehy not only to be the core of the team, but help this year's freshmen along as well.

And the real ancients, juniors Mike Watson, and Dave Burke, will have to regain their scoring touch of two seasons ago for the Crimson to challenge anyone. Only junior netminder Wade Lau has shown continual improvement among two-year vets.

Position by position, here's how the team shapes up:

THE FORWARDS:

The Crimson averaged nearly four goals a game last season, but when it really counted, and sometimes even when it didn't, Harvard had a hard time getting the puck between the posts. "One of the things that definitely hurt us last year was lack of scoring," Cleary says.

"I'm really excited about this group. This is one of the best pre-seasons we've ever had. I gotta be pleased with all the lines," he adds.

The big difference between this year and last: "We've improved our overall size, overall team speed and we've got more depth--which means that if someone gets hurt, we won't be hurt as much as a team."

"We're especially bigger on the front line than we have been the last couple of years," he added. "The other teams are big and they wear you down. But take a look at Kukulowicz and (Freshman Gary) Martin. They're big kids. I would never sacrifice quickness and agility for size, but it's nice to have those guys leaning on people."

Aside from more muscle up front, Harvard should score more goals. First of all, Cleary is looking for Burke and Watson to return to their freshman form, when they combined for 32 goals. Last season the pair unsuccessfully battled the sophomore jinx and tailed off to an output of 17 tallies between them.

Speaking of sophomore jinx, it may take an awful beating in Bright Center this season. Greg Olson (16 goals last year), Jim Turner (16 assists), Greg Britz, Rob Burns, and Dave Connors all have a year's experience to add to their accomplishments of last season. "The poise of the sophomores will be important," Cleary says.

And then come the freshmen. Falcone, Kukulowicz, Martin and North have all shown they are ready to play Division One hockey--right now. "The forwards have looked excellent," Turner says. "Guys like Martin and Falcone will give us extra scoring punch."

THE DEFENSE:

The fate of the 1980-81 season rests here, at the blueline. Cleary has decided on three of his defensemen, Fusco, Sangster and converted forward Neil Sheehy. After that, it's anybody's guess.

"I still have some questions in my mind," Cleary says. "I'm just waiting for someone to emerge. They've all played pretty well."

Four freshmen are battling for defensive spots. Kenny Code, Bob Starbuck, Brad Dorman and Bill Sztorc all have a chance to complete the second pairing, and three of the four will almost certainly be in the top six.

"These are all fine hockey players and we're hoping a couple at least will emerge to help us," Cleary says. "It's a question now of deciding which ones will be effective right off the bat."

The answer, at least until the youngsters gain some experience, may be Alan Litch- field. An 18-game veteran of the '78-'79 season, the hard-hitting junior spent most of his time with the junior varsity a year ago. He could see plenty of action early on.

Obviously, there's not much depth. "It's no secret that defense is the weak spot," Cleary says, in an echo of last year's prognosis. "We've got more depth, size and speed up front."

Perhaps the key to the campaign is Sheehy. If he cannot make the adjustment to the backline, the squad is in trouble. No team can survive the inevitable mistakes four rookies would make on defense, and if anyone gets injured . . . Pre-season scrimmages usually reveal little, but Sheehy appears to be on schedule. "He has the ability to handle the puck and he's big and strong," Cleary says. "Hopefully, he'll be able to move some people around the net."

THE GOALTENDING:

Good news here. Workhouse Wade Lau, whose mediocre record last year (4.63 gpg) obscures some sterling performances, now has a capable understudy in tiny but quick Mark Whiston. The 5-ft., 7-in. freshman from Ipswich acknowledges that his size can be a drawback, but "compensates with playing the angles. I'm really quick, because I have to be," he adds. "A lot of shots hit Wade that wouldn't hit me."

In fact, 580 shots hit Lau last year as the junior from St. Paul, Minn., compiled a .857 save percentage, while playing in 20 of 26 games. The number-one man in the nets for the past two years, Lau has improved steadily and may burst into prominence this time around.

"He's looked very, very sharp and a lot more aggressive," Cleary says. "He's obviously number one."